Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What more is needed for change?

While it has been almost a month since the start of the BP oil spill, the negative impacts of the oil are still being felt today - and they will continue to be felt months (even years) into the future. I mention this now because I just came across some really incredible/sad/devastating/upsetting/eye-opening photos of the impact the oil has had on the natural world around the Gulf of Mexico, and I wanted to share them with everyone.

As you look through the photos, try to think about what you can do to help stop this from happening again. While I made a post earlier about the overuse/dependence on plastic, I feel like I need to take this time to expand that thought to the dependence on oil as a whole. This is a serious problem and it is one that people need to actively discuss and work on changing. Although not everyone can go down to the Gulf and help clean up oil or save injured wildlife, we all have the power to decide how we spend our time and money. It is through these choices that we can all have the biggest impact.

Rather than just continue to live our lives the way we have grown accustomed to, take a few extra seconds (or even minutes) to really think about what impact our choices have and consider these questions. Is driving a car really necessary for that trip down the street? Is driving really needed right now, or can it wait for another time? Where is that bike of mine that I have neglected for too long? Do I need all of these items individually wrapped/bagged? Why don't I have a reusable water bottle? Where are my reusable grocery bags? Should I buy more since I always seem to forget them at home? Do I really need a straw with my drink? Is it that difficult and out of my way to recycle? Can I feel good about myself if I walk past plastic (or any trash) laying in the street right next to the storm drain, knowing that it will end up in the ocean during the next big rain if I don't pick it up?

The questions are endless but the idea is there - we all have the ability to make positive change. Sadly, we all (myself included) have the ability to make excuses too. But the more we live a philosophy of "do what we say" and stop making excuses, the better off life will be - for us and future generations. If one really wants to help make a change there is also the avenue of politics to pursue, as one can try to persuade the oh-so-lovable politicians of the city/state/country to make policy reform. Though, if that sounds like "too much work" one can always easily support non-profit organizations that are already working with governments to help improve our lives. Regardless of how one chooses to make change, the reality is, we (as a society) need to use far less oil and embrace alternative options for renewable energy (and OPPOSE ANY MORE OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING).

Needless to say (and with much sadness), the problems are not going to disappear any time soon. However, improvements (even small ones) can be made on a daily basis by each and everyone of us. After choosing to make a positive change in our own lives, the next step is to encourage all of our friends and family to do so as well. We can have honest, meaningful, intelligent discussion with them (with anyone) about why things need to change - and why it is something that everyone must do.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one." - John Lennon

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the spill(leak) is so devastating, I had to avoid the news. Who really knows what kind of impact its having and will have. Never mind the "butterfly effect" whats going to happen with the billions of crude oil in the sea effect? OY!
    So how have you been? Are you working? Loving? I'm planning a trip to Santa Cruz and might even move there if I get one of the jobs I've interviewed for. I'll probably be there in August-Sept, if not longer. Able to get away in Sept.? KIT peace, love, blessings -russ

    ReplyDelete