Well, after many weeks of anticipation, today was the day I finally closed on the contract to buy my first house. From the moment I walked through the house, I had good feelings about the property. Even better, I had wonderful visions of what the house would look like when it was all fixed up again. While the house needs a lot of work, this is exactly what I want to do in life right now and I truly look forward to the months ahead.
As for the house, it was built sometime in the 1930s and fits wonderfully into the historic character of many Charleston neighborhoods. I love the architectural style of the home and the layout of the rooms is very comfortable. The front porch has an inviting feel to it and I expect to spend many evenings relaxing on it in a porch swing. Even better though is the wonderful backyard with a beautiful pecan tree and plenty of room for Riley (and his friends) to run around. Once I add a screened porch and a new deck, I will be living out there and enjoying nature as much as possible.
It is my intention to restore the love, character and good vibes this home once had - and to do so in a very sustainable manner. I plan to keep or reuse as much as the original materials as I can, and to recycle/donate those things I no longer desire. All new construction will embrace sustainable materials and practices, and I aim to bring as much of the natural world outside into the home. I will try to update the blog frequently with progress reports on the house, so check back often. In the mean time, here are some pictures of the house as of today. Peace and love on to all on this wonderful day!

WOW!!!! it's beautiful!! how cool, i am so happy for you--owning your own place is so exciting and i'm sure riley will be thrilled to have his very own yard to romp around in. your blog is beautiful and i'm glad you decided to share your amazing beliefs and insights on life and humnaity with the rest of the world. i will be a regular reader. namaste, laura
ReplyDelete