Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Howlin' at the moon

So the other night I was driving through east Texas (which by the way is SO much better than west Texas) when I noticed a huge, beautiful orange sphere glowing low on the horizon. At first I didn't know what exactly it was until I realized that I was looking at one of the coolest (nearly full) moons I have ever seen! Since I was driving east I was fortunate to have a great view of the moon as it worked its way ever higher into the night sky. While the moon slowly faded from orange into yellow and then it's usual white color, I couldn't help but feel a sense of amazement as I watched the moon move across the sky and light up the road before me.

Personally I take great pleasure in watching the moon "change" as it rotates around the Earth throughout the lunar cycle, and I encourage everyone to do so as well. I feel it is especially important to pay attention to the moon's phases (note the lunar chart to the right) because the moon directly impacts each one of us on the individual level. Whether one believes in Astrology or not, there is no denying physics. Just as the moon affects the tides and bodies of water (as people in Charleston are well aware), it also effects the human body - which is about 60% water. One's feelings, moods, thoughts and energy are all influenced by the moon and it's position in the universe at any given time. Take note of how your body changes over the course of a lunar month and start to notice how various things in the universe are all connected. It's a great feeling to see the connections that exist and feel a greater sense of one's presence in the world around us.

This beautiful sight soon led to a conversation between my brother and I about how exactly the phases of the moon come to be and what exactly is going on in the mysterious world of "Space". I mean, how did that rocky orb in the sky get stuck in sync with this planet and why does it all work the way it does? Just think, any small number of tiny changes during the creation of the Universe could totally have eliminated the possibility for life on Earth. Instead, we are fortunate to have this wonderful, amazing planet filled with beauty and life for everyone to enjoy. I just hope there are more people who have the awareness to realize just how lucky we are to have Earth as she is, and eventually everyone will start treating our home with more respect.

Why does this life all exist? I'm not exactly sure, but while the super smart physicist try to figure this all out, I'll just relax in peace and enjoy the wonders of the universe as they reveal themselves each day. It is a great feeling to accept the mysteries of life for what they are, and live in peace without knowing the answers to life's big questions. There is so much beauty and positive energy to embrace in life that I am content to live without knowing the "whys" of it all. The only thing that matters to me is that the greatness in nature and life does exist, and that I am able to enjoy it on a daily basis. Is life really so complex that there has to be some grand purpose to it all? Or is the "purpose" really to embrace each day, to truly live each day, and enjoy that which is around (and in) us all?

No comments:

Post a Comment